Stretch marks are in fact scars that appear due to our skin rapidly shrinking or stretching which in turn causes our skin to rapture with elastin and collagen. Later as our skin is healing the stretch marks start appearing, however, we must mention that these are not the cause with everyone. Some individuals are more likely to gets these marks on their skin than others and factors like genetics and fluctuating hormone levels are of significant importance when it comes to this issue.
Some of the biggest causes for stretch marks to appear are stress, puberty, sudden weight loss, and pregnancy. The most common areas where stretch marks appear are the buttocks, the stomach, the upper arms, and the breasts. Furthermore, often stretch marks can be the result of applying corticosteroid on your skin longer than recommended.
The color of stretch marks, when they first appear, varies across different skin colors, they can be pink, reddish, purple, brown and even dark brown. You may experience itchiness due to early stretch marks and they may cause your skin to slightly elevate, however with time these symptoms fade. Moreover, a mature stretch mark can the determined by gently running your finger over it, if you feel a slight depression when doing so then you’ve got yourself a mature stretch mark.
How to get rid of stretch marks
Sadly, these marks are not easy to get rid of and their treatment does require time, but that does not mean that they are impossible to remove.
Bellow, we have prepared for you a list of natural remedies that you can use to treat stretch marks and ultimately get rid of them.
- Egg whites
Eggs whites are filled with amino acids and proteins, making them perfect for treating damaged skin.
- For this procedure, you will need two eggs.
- Start by separating the yolk from the whites, then use a fork to whisk the egg whites.
- Once done, use either a sponge or a makeup brush to apply the egg whites onto your stretch marks and let it sit and dry off.
- Later, use cold water to properly rinse them off. Once clean, apply olive oil to hydrate your skin.
- With this treatment, you will witness results after a few weeks.
- Olive oil
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and vitamin E and it helps the skin heal faster which makes it a great remedy to treat stretch marks with.
- First, pour about 3-4 ounces of olive oil in a pan and put it over low heat and allow it to warm up a just a bit.
- Then, transfer it into a small bowl.
- Use the warmed up oil to massage the stretch mark cover area.
- Do so for 5-10 minutes every day to witness results.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a magnificent plant that is widely used and incorporated in many skincare products. It has amazing healing properties and a softening effect on the skin.
- Use the pure Aloe Vera gel directly from the leaf to massage your stretch marks with.
- Do so gently, then let it sit for 20-30 minutes before washing it off.
- Use tepid water when rinsing and repeat this procedure daily to see results.
- Potato juice
When you first think about potatoes, you do not consider them as juicy right? Don’t worry it is not something uncommon, however, potato juice is one of the most recommended remedies for stretch mark removal.
Not only does this remedy prompt skin cells regeneration, but it also helps brighten the skin and ensures stretch marks fade faster.
- Start by cutting the potato into slices, then use it to slices to rub the stretch marks with.
- Leave on the potato juice to work for about 15 minutes, then use lukewarm water to rinse it off.
- Once done. Pat dry the area and apply moisturizer after.
- You can also try leaving a potato slice on overnight, however, if you prefer the former procedure, to witness results repeat it twice a day.
- Lemon juice
Lemon juice is also a famous stretch mark- treating remedy. It is known for its acidic properties that help heal the skin faster, making the stretch marks less visible and ensuring they fade eventually.
- First, squeeze out some lemon juice from a lemon, then apply the lemon juice by massaging the stretch marks using circular motions.
- Do so for 3-5 minutes, then leave on the lemon juice for 15-20 minutes so it can get properly absorbed.
- Once finished, use warm water to rinse it off.
– Due to lemon juice being highly acidic it can easily cause skin irritation, especially if you have sensitive skin. Therefore, we recommend diluting it with water before using it to treat stretch marks.